Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Ecovillage cohouse may be happening

After months of trying to organise a custom designed shared house at the ecovillage at Currumbin (theecovillage.com.au), and eventually almost giving up due to escalating building costs, I've finally found someone prepared to take it on and we may have a goer.

The ecovillage is a commercial development where the village is self sufficient for energy, water and waste, with 80% of the land reserved for conservation purposes. But the land prices are inaccessible to people average incomes who don't already own property. I wanted to be part of the project and make it more accessible. The idea is to build a pavilion house consisting of 5 cabins for 4 people with shared kitchen and guest cabin.

I've done concept drawings, built a model and had it costed by kit home manufacturers. Now I've got someone interested in building it. This is going to be a big job. The next step is to get my owner builder's licence...

No comments: