Saturday, January 27, 2007

Doesn't time fly?!

I'd forgotten about this blog - till I went to create a new one. So to update:

I got a $500 6 month good behaviour bond and no conviction recorded for the nude bike ride. I managed to behave myself for the next 6 months, so I didn't have to pay the fine. I represented myself in court and argued that I don't normally cycle around the city nude and there were a lot of us. The magistrate clearly thought it was much worse for a man to do this sort of thing than for a women, which was quite sexist of him. But then I suppose the human anatomy is quite sexist!

About the ecovillage project, I did my owner builder's licence and 'blue card' (safety), but got increasingly demoralised about the project. It was still going to be expensive and my environmental impact would have been higher there than in the city - I'd definately have needed a car. And what would I do with my life there? I just couldn't see it as a lifestyle for myself. I wish someone would do an urban ecovillage! So eventually I pulled out.

By this time I'd been working at Parks and Wildlife on an assessment of all of Queensland's 1200 terrestrial protected areas. Then I worked in pollution response at the EPA briefly, before getting my old job back in decision support at Natural Resources.

And that's been about it, for ages. Except that we've been looking after two girls who are daughters of a friend and are Congolese refugees. It's given me a whole new respect for parents. My god, that's a hard job!

No comments: